Chen Xuepo, also named Guangshi, with a courtesy name Fuzhen, was from Qishili, a village of Longxi Du (known today as Qishi Village, Qishi Town, Huilai County).
Mr. Chen demonstrated his intelligence at his young ages. As a child, he did lots of reading and at the age of 10, he was able to write articles. He was good at singing, composing, and especially developing rhythms that earned him a great reputation in the artists’ community. In 1549, the 28th Jiajing year, he was enrolled into Guozi Jian, a central government agency headed by a Chancellor that oversaw several schools at the dynastic capital, chiefly, the National University, the School for the Sons of the State. After that, he worked as a lecturer. In the 38th Jiajing year, in the face of rampant pirates and a weak local government, he made proposals to the local official Lin Xinquan to successfully repel pirates. Later on, he once again gave advice to officials to help them suppress and pacify pirates and bandits. Local people all sang praise to his contribution. In the 44th Jiajing year, he was appointed as the county head of Juye, Shandong province where he also won a great reputation. He returned to the hometown in the 2nd Longqing year and left us today with a Xuepo Literature Collections.
Born in Huilai, Wu Dehao is a sculpture artist who graduated with postgraduate degrees from the Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts Sculpture Department. In 2017, he visited the Cité internationale des arts in Paris, France. He currently lectures in the Sculpture Department of the Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts. He is a member of China Sculpture Association and Guangdong Artist Association, deputy general secretary of CNACA Special Committee of Glass Arts and director of Guangzhou Municipal Association of Sculpture.
Sculpture location: Kuiyang Park, Huilai County, Guangdong Province